Studying On a Non-UM Program: Suggested Steps
1. Research program options. There are hundreds of programs, so make sure to look only at those that offer credit through an accredited university. You may wish to consult the following websites; however, not every program on these websites will be through an accredited university!
2. Complete the Studying though a Non-UM Program form.
3. Visit the UM study abroad office to get your program approved. Make sure to bring information about the host university so that we can determine if the university is accredited. After a study abroad advisor determines that the program is approved, he or she will sign your Non-UM Program form.
4. Meet with your academic advisor to discuss your study abroad plans. Make sure that the study abroad classes fit into your curriculum of study at UM.
5. Apply to your program after you know that the program is approved.
6. Get your courses approved. You must visit the department of each course for which you seek a UM equivalency.
7. Complete the financial aid page “student information” box if you currently receive financial aid or would like to use financial aid for your study abroad program. Make sure to write down the contact information for your program or host institution so that UM can contact this person.
8. Turn in your Non-UM Program form to the Academic Dean’s office for your school or college. Your school or college may require additional forms. If your proposed study abroad program falls within the last 45 credits of your study, you must appeal the residency requirement through your school or college.
9. Pay the $50 study abroad fee (only for fall or spring programs). After you turn in the Non-UM Program form to your Dean's office, it should be signed and forwarded to the Registrar who will register you as a non-UM program participant. A $50 non-UM program fee will be added to your student bill.
10. Request a transcript from your program to be mailed to University of Miami, Admission, PO Box 249117, Coral Gables, FL 33124 – 5229. The locator code (5229) is important!
Preferred deadline: April 15 for summer and fall programs, November 15 for spring programs.
Non-UM Prestigious Program & Scholarships Information
Many of the scholarships listed on our Scholarships Page are also applicable to participation on non-UM programs abroad. Please see the Scholarships Page for more information.